blades

Miscellaneous area intended for topis of discussion that are not covered in other threads or discussion groups, including impromptu shoots, vents, ideas, whatever strikes your fancy.
JohnSR

blades

Post by JohnSR »

Need to send my blades in and get them sharpened. Will be the last time as I purchased a blade sharpener and tooth setter. http://www.cookssaw.com/bandsaw/ Should be here in a couple weeks. The sharpener weighs 150 pounds and the setter is 50 pounds. They are coming from Alabama by truck. Have been moving quite a bit of cedar lumber. A contractor came by and bought all I had cut and wants to be notified when I have some more. The problem is, I didn't buy the darn machine to make money. Just wanted it as a hobby but is was nice getting rid of all the cedar. Now have room for the sharpener and setter. Spent the day building a table for it. Think I could drive the car onto it and it wouldn't break. Well, enough rambling. It is in the high 80's today so am trying to cool down in the house. Mary Ann is laying on the air vents to cool down. Smart dog.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Re: blades

Post by jon.oman »

My dad bought a sharpener for all of his woodworking blades. It turned into a small business for him for a few years. Word of mouth. He would spend hours each day with that grinder, and then more time giving the teeth the proper set. I never did get that equipment, it was destroyed the year my dad's basement flooded. He was up in years, and just let it go for about three to four months, until we got a call from a neighbor of his that we needed to drive up and check on him. We talked to him on the phone on a regular basis, but he never let on that he was living in the house with no furnace and a flooded basement! Needless to say, we had to set that straight, and in the next couple of years, we had to move him into an assisted living home. That was when he was about 89. He died peacefully at age 91.