A Number From Tonight

Place to post your images and they may be critiqued.
jon.oman

A Number From Tonight

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance

Re: A Number From Tonight

Post by Bobby Nance »

Good job with your composition, exposure, etc. on these. To be honest, though, I think they lack something to make them really outstanding, and I suspect the problem is the WB is off -- or not ideal, at least, in this series.

If you shot these in RAW, you might want to have a go at trying some different settings in LR or the PS converter. If not, I would be curious to see what you might get if you did a re-shoot with a custom WB. (I know the WB in such situations is tricky b/c of multiple light sources. I'm fortunate that the S5 for whatever reason USUALLY copes with mixed lighting quite well. But how it could work, I haven't a clue.)

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:Good job with your composition, exposure, etc. on these. To be honest, though, I think they lack something to make them really outstanding, and I suspect the problem is the WB is off -- or not ideal, at least, in this series.

If you shot these in RAW, you might want to have a go at trying some different settings in LR or the PS converter. If not, I would be curious to see what you might get if you did a re-shoot with a custom WB. (I know the WB in such situations is tricky b/c of multiple light sources. I'm fortunate that the S5 for whatever reason USUALLY copes with mixed lighting quite well. But how it could work, I haven't a clue.)
For some reason, I have never worried about WB. I just take what the camera gives me. That is probably not the best thing in the world to do. Having said that, I think that nighttime images don't neccesarily need WB correction.

But, I will look into modifying the WB, since these were shot in RAW, which is how I do all of my work.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby,

Is this what you had in mind?

WB adjusted to 'daylight':

As shot:

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

Yes, it's much better now, I think. However, I thought that particular shot needed less correction than several of the others.

Although I can't find fault with much of your work, I would urge you to consider that WB is NOT something you want to necessarily take for granted. It can make or break an image -- and sometimes it's not extremely obvious that WB is the problem. (One surprising thing that seems to be WB-related is noise. Why, I don't know.)

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:Yes, it's much better now, I think. However, I thought that particular shot needed less correction than several of the others.

Although I can't find fault with much of your work, I would urge you to consider that WB is NOT something you want to necessarily take for granted. It can make or break an image -- and sometimes it's not extremely obvious that WB is the problem. (One surprising thing that seems to be WB-related is noise. Why, I don't know.)
I started with this one because a lady ordered this image. She specifically wanted a nighttime image of this building.

I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, that the image you really thought needed a WB fix was the pub? I can't seem to get rid of the overall greenish cast on that one. I'm still working on it!

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

Several seem to have a green cast, including the pub one. Congratulations on selling the first image! Well done. I think I'll give it a try and post the results, if it's OK with you.

BTW, if you don't mind sharing, are you marketing through one of the web-based sales sites or was this a person-to-person deal?

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

I think the reason you're having trouble removing the green cast from the pub is b/c it is sooo strong, stronger than it looks. I got a satisfactory result in LR, but I had to resort to more than just the WB adjustment features to do it. I knew there was trouble when the tint slider slammed all the way against the magenta end -- and away from the greens -- when I put the eye dropper tool on the concrete near the steps. I don't remember seeing that happen before!

Will post the results, if you like.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:Several seem to have a green cast, including the pub one. Congratulations on selling the first image! Well done. I think I'll give it a try and post the results, if it's OK with you.

BTW, if you don't mind sharing, are you marketing through one of the web-based sales sites or was this a person-to-person deal?
I know the basics of PSCS3. So, show me anything you may come up with! Be sure to let me know how you processed it.

You can see my galleries at http://www.jonomanphotos.com/.

I have made a few sales from this site, but, I am also selling prints at the Summerville Farmer's Market. I have not really broken even yet, but I have sold a number of images. It has been fun just talking to everyone! The print of the theater was a request of a customer at the market. She asked once, and I put it off, not thinking she was serious. She came back last Saturday and asked again. So, I made the image.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:I think the reason you're having trouble removing the green cast from the pub is b/c it is sooo strong, stronger than it looks. I got a satisfactory result in LR, but I had to resort to more than just the WB adjustment features to do it. I knew there was trouble when the tint slider slammed all the way against the magenta end -- and away from the greens -- when I put the eye dropper tool on the concrete near the steps. I don't remember seeing that happen before!

Will post the results, if you like.
Well, part of the problem is that it is an Irish pub. They want things to be green, and have stained the walkway, etc. with green. The building itself is shades of green.

Here is another attempt to tone it down: